Friday, October 23

[Review] Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) - Colleen Hoover

Author: Colleen Hoover
Original Title: Hopeless
Publisher: Atria Books
Release Date: March 7th, 2013
Finished Date: April 16th, 2015
Pages: 416
Read in: English

Synopsis

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.
Source: GoodReads


Rating

I don't get this one. I thought Hoover was growing on me after I thoroughly enjoyed Confess (click here to see that review) but this one was definitely not for me. A lot was happening - too much was happening.
I could see the big reveal coming from a mile away, and it honestly was so angsty and dramatic that I couldn't connect to the characters in any level. It felt just like I was watching it happen, but I didn't really care.
There was insta-love, there was drama, there were unrealistic situations - all in all it was a bunch of things glued together, and it made the book seem like a jumbled mess.
This might have been much better had Colleen Hoover decided to tackle only one of the million issues this book deals with.


The following extended review contains spoilers
If you have not yet read the book and/or do not wish to be spoiled, please do not read any further.


This is my exact reaction when people tell me this is their favourite Hoover book.


Honestly, for me, the prologue gave away immediately that Sky had been sexually abused. I understood with the progression of the story that it had happened in her childhood.
Right from the start, Sky was a bit all over the place. I couldn't connect to her. She's making out with a guy, and we follow her internal monologue about this situation. She's not coherent. She starts out by saying,
«Why, if I'm not into this, do I let him do it?»
and a paragraph later she's saying,
«I do enjoy it - otherwise, I wouldn't do it.»
Girl, make up your mind, please.

Sky's relationship with Breckin came out of nowhere and made no sense. I get that it was supposed to be cute and quirky, but it was just laughable. And not in a good way. Honestly, who in the world can say to have decided to become best friends (with such unshakable loyalty, too) one day during lunch before which they had never even spoken. I did, however enjoy their Mormon inside joke.

Even if you decide to overlook Sky's friendship with Breckin, there is the insta-love between her and Holder to be annoyed about. This book was written before Confess, even though I read it after. Honestly, when you put this insta-love that is later revealed to be a past connection thing in perspective, I'd say Ms. Hoover has improved in writing it. Unlike in Confess, this relationship just felt weird. I really don't get how people are saying this is extremely romantic - it doesn't do it for meI didn't find Holder romantic at all. I found him stalkerish an too caveman like for my taste.

«My instinct is telling me to run and scream, but my body wants to wrap itself around his glistening, sweaty arms.»

Ugh, why?
This book is filled of these. These worthless comments about how wrong it would be, but how much she wants to basically jump Holder. And I really don't get this. If she wants him, why can't they talk about things like normal people? What's with all this ridiculous dramatic, tearjerker subplots? I like it when a book makes me cry because I was emotionally invested enough to care about what would happen to the characters. I hate it when a book tries to emotionally manipulate me. It doesn't work. If you want me to connect to the book, make it so it is easy to do so.

Even the twist at the end, with the mom really being her aunt was predictable.

I don't get this one, but I understand that some people do. Colleen Hoover really does have a wonderful writing style, and in my opinion, she's getting better with every book.
«You can't get mad at a real ending. Some of them are ugly. It's the fake happily ever after that should piss you off.»


Did you read this book? What did you think? Let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment