Monday, October 19

[Review] Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) - Laini Taylor

Author: Laini Taylor
Original title: Days of blood & starlight
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release date: November 6th, 2012
Finished date: April 17th, 2015
Pages: 517
Read in: English

Synopsis
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.
This is not that world.

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.
In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.
While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.
But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

Rating
«(...) In these days of blood, there was no luxury of choice. Death ruled them all.»
This is it, guys. It doesn't get much better than this. This book was perfection.
The thing about Laini Taylor is that she can write the most beautiful words that make it seem as if though you were reading a fairytale, but her plotline, her characters, her whole world feel so real and so raw you can't help but wonder if there isn't always a bit of darkness to every fairytale. This book is a beautifully crafted piece of heaven. It is not a happy book - it is a hopeful one.
I can't really go too much into detail here, seeing as it is a second book in a trilogy, but if you're wondering whether or not you should read this - DO IT.
Even though I seriously can't wait to see how this trilogy comes to an end, I really don't want to do it at the same time. I love this books, and as soon as I read the next one, it's over. I'm just not ready for it to be over.
Daughter of smoke & bone (Book 1) - ★★★★

The following extended review contains spoilers
If you have not yet read the book and/or do not wish to be spoiled, please do not read any further.

«Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them. And its snap split the world in two.»
The book starts out with Zuzana, whom I'd like to be my best friend asap. That whole scene of her  trying to convince Mik to throw pee filled balloons at the horrible Kaz, Karou's ex-boyfriend, who happened to be milking the situation to his own fame and convenience was incredibly nostalgic. I had no idea how much I missed these characters until I actually started reading the book.

We follow the aftermath of Karou's disappearance, both from Zuze's and Akiva's point of view. And while Zuzana is sad that her best friend is AWOL, Akiva is devastated. He is guilty and grieving. It's heartbreaking to see his struggle, especially after he discovers Issa's soul with Karou's name and thinks she is dead - he basically looses the will to live.
«The chimaera were destroyed. Her family was dead. Because of him.»
If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be war. But I don't mean that in the sense that the whole book is battles and strategic war moves and blood and violence. It has all that. But it is much more. This book is about what war does to you. What it's purpose is. How it destroys more than just physically. How it devours you inside.


« "You have only to begin, Lir. Mercy breeds mercy as slaughter breeds slaughter. We can't expect the world to be better than we make it." »
We follow the dynamics of Hazael's and Liraz's relationship with Akiva, and it is beautifully haunting. Hazael always felt like a more likeable and approachable person than Liraz, who shuts everyone out and doesn't really show any feeling. Maybe that's why I love her so much.
Despite my stronger connection to Liraz as a character, I learned to love Hazael when he started helping Akiva warn and keep the few chimaera left safe. And man, did it hit me hard when he died. I just wanted them to take Jael out. I cried, you guys.

«She had loved the enemy and saved him. She had set him free. And he had done this.»
The heart-wrenching conflict that Karou had to go through was at the same time beautiful and painful to read about. This was actually one of those books I took a long time reading, precisely because of that. On the one hand, I couldn't wait to read and know what would happen, but on the other hand, reading brought that inevitable feeling of helplessness - there were some things I really didn't want to happen.
When I found out they were in Earth, all the chimaeras rescued and given new bodies by Karou who was now a shell of her former self, I was shocked beyond reason. I was so very happy when Zuzana decided to find her - Karou really needed a friend.

«Thiago didn't want to help Karou. He wanted to not need her
Thiago. I was so mad. I hate him with all my soul. I think that is one of the things that make me love these books so much - the characters evoke very strong feelings in me. I learn to love and hate them, and they become part of me. They are not just characters anymore.
I didn't really get that final twist until Laini Taylor decided to write what had happened. I seriously believed Thiago lived on. And I was so happy to find out Karou didn't do it, and revived Ziri.


And Ziri. Dear sweet Ziri. Please, please, please don't die on the next book.

Also, Zuzana and Mik's relationship is goals.



I CAN'T EVEN TALK ABOUT THAT ENDING HONESTLY. All I want is for Issa, Ziri, Zuze, Mik, Akiva and Karou to live and destroy Jael and his army. And I really want Festival's family involved. Please?
«Tomorrow they will start the apocalypse. Tonight they let themselves look at each other, for just a little while.»
Did you read this book? What did you think? Let me know! :) 

2 comments:

  1. Zuzana is one of my all-time favorite best friend characters in the YA genre. I need her to be real and to come find me. She is my spirit animal.

    Also, this line "Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them. And its snap split the world in two" is one of my favorites in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Everybody should have a rabid fairy as a best friend, and Zuzana is their queen. I love her.
      This series is life.

      Delete