Monday, October 9

[Review] The melody of you and me - M. Hollis

Author: M. Hollis
Original title: The melody of you and me
Publisher: -
Release date: February 19th, 2017
Finished date: October 2nd, 2017
Pages: 144
Read in: English

After dropping out of university and breaking up with her girlfriend of three years, Chris Morrison’s life is now a mind-numbing mess. She doubts that working at the small neighborhood bookstore is going to change that. The rest of her time is spent mostly playing guitar and ignoring the many messages her mother keeps sending her about going back to college.
But one day, an adorable and charming new bookseller waltzes her way into Chris’s life. Josie Navarro is sweet, flirty, and she always has a new book in her hands. The two girls start a fast friendship that, for Chris, holds the promise of something more. But is she reading too much into this or is it possible that Josie feels the same way?

Source: GoodReads
Rating

I was instantly sold on this novella when I heard it followed a pansexual main character. The books with these kinds of representation and diversity are so rare that I jumped at the chance to read it. Unfortunately, I am sorry to say that I didn't really like it. I really appreciated the discussion and themes represented in this book and I hope that the fact that books like this are being published is bringing awareness to these issues. I loved that most of the characters were queer, the portrayal of sexuality as a positive thing, the openness to subjects that still remain taboo in our society like female masturbation, female-female sex and the fact that most people don't know what they want to do with their lives in their early twenties.
However, I really did not enjoy the writing. I found out later that English is not this author's first language, but I wouldn't be fair if I said it didn't bother me. It was even kind of hard to read at times. I also didn't really enjoy the story itself. It was overly simple, insta-love-y and flat. There wasn't much happening besides Chris thinking about Josie, on her way to see Josie or being with Josie.
I guess I was just expecting there to be a little more substance to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment