Sunday, October 11

[Review] Tangled (Tangled, #1) - Emma Chase

Author: Emma Chase
Original Title: Tangled
Publisher: Gallery Books
Release Date: May 20th, 2013
Finished Date: April 13th, 2015
Pages: 256
Read in: English

Synopsis

When rich, handsome, and arrogant meets beautiful, brilliant, and ambitious, things are bound to get tangled.

Drew Evans makes multimillion-dollar business deals and seduces New York's most beautiful women with just a smile. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed? He'll tell you he has the flu, but we all know that's not really true.

When Katherine Brooks is hired as the new associate at Drew's father's investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy's life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating.

How can one woman turn a smooth-talking player into a broken, desperate man? By making the one thing he never wanted in life the only thing he can't live without.
Source: GoodReads

Rating

Despite the spoiler warning down below, I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers. And that's because I only managed to read about 20% of the book. Nothing had happened between the main characters yet. Why didn't I read more?, you ask. Well, it seemed to me like Drew had a cronic case of asshole. And I really dislike reading about presumptuous pigs who enjoy degrading women and think of them as lower beings only fit to have sex, cry and be, as he called them, bitches. No thank you.

The following extended review contains spoilers
If you have not yet read the book and/or do not wish to be spoiled, please do not read any further.



Yes, I know, I didn't like this. It seems to me like I'm the only person in the planet that didn't like this. Actually, it goes a bit beyond liking. It was physically impossible for me to keep reading this book. 
Usually, when I don't like a book enough to continue reading, it is usually because I either didn't like the plot, I didn't like the writing or I didn't connect with anything.
This time it was because I hated Drew. I hated him with a passion. It was disgusting to be stuck inside his head and read about him objectifying women.
First of all, he starts out painting himself as irresistible. That's what he thinks he is.
«Doe Eyes may be telling me no... but her body? Her body's screaming, Yes, yes, fuck me on the bar
Or maybe, just maybe, it means no. It's this kind of thinking that leads to rape culture.

Even if you look past all the sexism and pigheadedness, the (almost inexistent) plot is completely unlikely. So Drew is a partner in one of the biggest hot-shot companies in the country, and he doesn't even have a degree? He never went to university. He is working there because his daddy lets him. How sad is that? Is that what you are compensating for while screwing the entire country?

«So, if you think I'm arrogant? Selfish? Spoiled? You're probably right. But don't hold it against me. It's not my fault. I am a product of how I was raised.»
Hm, no actually, Drew, how you deal with how you are raised says a lot about you and your personality. So what, you didn't have the perfect childhood? Most people don't. And most of them have to deal with it and grow from it. Not everyone chooses to become idiotic and arrogant brats.

And the clichés, you guys, honestly it's ridiculous.
- He is used to screwing everyone with a pair of boobs. He meets a girl who doesn't want to screw him, so naturally he thinks about her constantly.
- She becomes the forbidden fruit when she begins working for his daddy (well, at least she is qualified).

Yes, I am aware I will be receiving the but-it-gets-so-much-better-later-on comments, and that a lot of people do not agree with me - most people actually.



Did you read this book? What did you think? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that this book didn't end up working for you Francisca, but thank you for your honest review, honestly I think that I would have a couple of issues to with Drew's character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised that there is a very large amount of people who loves this book... Maybe there's just something wrong with me!
      Thank you, Jasprit, for stopping by. :)

      Delete