Monday, March 9

[Review] The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons

Author: Paullina Simons
Original title: The Bronze Horseman
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release date: Januray 1st, 1997
Finished date: February 23rd, 2015
Pages: 912
Read in: English

Synopsis
The golden skies, the translucent twilight, the white nights, all hold the promise of youth, of love, of eternal renewal. The war has not yet touched this city of fallen grandeur, or the lives of two sisters, Tatiana and Dasha Metanova, who share a single room in a cramped apartment with their brother and parents. Their world is turned upside down when Hitler's armies attack Russia and begin their unstoppable blitz to Leningrad.
Yet there is light in the darkness. Tatiana meets Alexander, a brave young officer in the Red Army. Strong and self-confident, yet guarding a mysterious and troubled past, he is drawn to Tatiana—and she to him. Starvation, desperation, and fear soon grip their city during the terrible winter of the merciless German siege. Tatiana and Alexander's impossible love threatens to tear the Metanova family apart and expose the dangerous secret Alexander so carefully protects—a secret as devastating as the war itself—as the lovers are swept up in the brutal tides that will change the world and their lives forever.
Source: GoodReads

Final Rating: ★★★
«“I found my true love on Ulitsa Saltykov-Schedrin, while I sat on a bench eating ice cream.

You didn’t find me. You weren’t even looking for me. I found you.
Long pause. “Alexander, were you… looking for me?
All my life.”»
~~~~~
«Alexander was the one who crossed the street and said, I’m yours.»

I read this over a period of 8 days. I can tell you right away that this was not due to my not liking the story. It was because unfortunately, I do not read for a living, and I couldn't stretch the hours on my days enough to read 900 pages non-stop.

In The Bronze Horseman we follow Tatiana, a young and incredibly naïve Russian girl through the beginning and then the development of World War II.
«The Russians were unparalleled in their suffering, the English in their reserve, the Americans in their love of life, the Italians in their love of Christ, and the French in their hope of love.»

This was her idea of the different nations in the beginning of the book. I have seldom seen such a huge character development in a book. Tatiana starts out as a weakling and ends up as a strong and remarkable woman.

It is written beautifully. I felt cold when she felt cold, I felt hungry when she was hungry. And I felt the overwhelming despair of not being able to do anything about it.
Yes, a major part of this book portrays a love-triangle. But this is the kind of love-triangle I don’t mind reading about. One that is well-written. One that is not the whole plot.
Throughout the book, we see very clearly the interaction between Tatiana and Alexander evolve with and because of war. I loved their first moments together, sweet short moments in which innocence was still present. 

In America we have a custom. When you’re given presents for your birthday, you’re supposed to open them and say thank you.

Tatiana nervously looked down at the present. “Thank you.” Gifts were not something she was used to. Wrapped gifts? Unheard of, even when they came wrapped only in plain brown paper.
“No. Open first. Then say thank you.”
She smiled. “What do I do? Do I take the paper off?”
“Yes. You tear it off.”
“And then what?”
“And then you throw it away.”
“The whole present or just the paper?”
Slowly he said, “Just the paper.”
“But you wrapped it so nicely. Why would I throw it away?”
“It’s just paper.”
“If it’s just paper, why did you wrap it?”
“Will you please open my present?” said Alexander.

The following extended review contains spoilers
If you have not yet read the book and/or do not wish to be spoiled, please do not read any further.

It is also remarkable how well the Russian society and their values at the time were described.

How her parents would have gladly given her up to have their soon back.
«But Tatiana remained awake, the words crashing their agonising tune on her ears. Why couldn’t God take Tania instead of Pasha?»

☃The sexism implied in Tatiana and Alexander’s relationship - even though she later proves she will never be ordered around and be quiet about it.
«“And obey him.”
Tatiana smiled, rolling her eyes. “And obey him.”»
          ~~~~~~
«“Stop it. Church is one thing, but no soldier husband of mine is going to a sewing circle. It’ll unman you.”»


Deda was almost immediately one of my favourite characters. He was also Tatiana’s favourite person. I found him to be gentle, yet firm.
«“Life is so unpredictable. That’s what I like least about it. If only life were more like math.”»

I know, right? If only we could predict exactly what would happen and prepare ourselves accordingly.

«“Ask yourself these three questions, Tatiana Metanova, and you will know who you are. Ask: what do you believe in? What do you hope for? But most important - ask: what do you love?”

(…)
I know who I am, she thought, taking his hand and turning to the altar. I am Tatiana. And I believe in, and hope for, and love Alexander for life.»

And she remembered his words, and lived by them.

Also, Tatiana doesn’t really know what a promise is. I could actually sympathise with Alexander when she broke them again and again.

«“Is that one of your promises or one of mine?”
“What is that supposed to mean?”»
~~~~
«“Tatiana, someday I will have to explain to you the concept of keeping a promise. You see, when you give your word, you have to keep your word.” He was stroking her hair.

“I know what keeping a promise means.”
“No, you only know what making a promise means,” Alexander said. “You are very good at making the promise. It’s keeping the promise you have a problem with.”»


About the actual love-triangle
It felt, at times, a bit exaggerated. But mostly, it was a well-written plot development. We follow them through their struggles, and it is actually heart-wrenching.
«“How could you…” she whispered. “You asked her to marry you, Alexander…” Did she yell that or whisper it?»
~~~~~
«He took her face in his hands. “If you stay alive, then I swear to you,” Alexander whispered, pressing her to him, “I won’t break your sister’s heart.”»
~~~~~
«“Dasha, I never loved your sister. Never. I love you. You know what we have.”»

And then Dasha dies. Dasha was a bit too bitchy for my taste, but still, I was not indifferent to her death. Not due to her actual dying, but more because of the extra sacrifice on Tatiana’s part to bury her. 
«“How did it feel, Tania, hearing him say he never loved you?”»
Now, that’s just mean.


And after 6 months of not hearing from either Dasha or Tatiana - because Tatiana couldn’t be bothered to write a 2 sentence letter letting Alexander know Dasha had passed away -, Alexander goes searching for them. {insert row here}
«“Please forgive me, Tatiana,” said Alexander, “for hurting your perfect heart with my cold and indifferent face. My own heart was always overflowing with you, and it was never indifferent.”»


Now the bad stuff
☃Tatiana and Alexander’s relationship is sometimes borderline abusive. And that is not okay. This was the number one reason why I couldn’t fall in love with Alexander. I liked him alright, but this side of him… Just no.
«“You can see what it’s doing to me, your being here!” Alexander squeezed her face harder and harder as she struggled to break free. “You can see. But you just don’t give a shit.”

She ceased fighting him, placing her hand over his. “Please,” Tatiana whispered, trying to catch his eye. “Please… stop. You’re hurting me.”»
And when they’re having a row, he outright lies in her face, just to hurt her. That is not alright either.
«“I married you,” Alexander yelled in a breaking voice, “so I could fuck you anytime I felt like it! Don’t you know it by now? Anytime Tania! What else do you think a soldier on furlough could possibly want? And if I hadn’t married you, all of Lazarevo would now be calling you my whore!”»

☃Tatiana is always blushing. This seems to be a recurring problem in the books I read. Is there some kind of brochure publishers give to potential writers with all the clichés so they can make sure to include them as they are writing?
«“I’ve got to stop tuning red.”
“Please don’t.”»
PLEASE DO.

☃There are inconsistencies in Tatiana’s character. I men she grew up, she matured, she buried all her family, and then there’s this scene.
«“Want to play something?”
“No. I’ve got to do this.”
“We can play
 Alexander Says.” She smiled invitingly.
“Later.”
“What about hide-and-seek?”
“Later.”
“What? Afraid of losing again, Captain?” She grinned.»
Honestly, I have a little sister. And this is exactly what she sounded like when she was 5.


Tatiana and Alexander
I found the way Alexander thought about Tatiana completely heart-warming. And I can’t help but think it will always be like that for him.
«War was the ultimate chaos, a pounding, soul-destroying snarl, ending in blown-apart men lying unburied on the cold earth. There was nothing more cosmically chaotic than war.

But Tatiana was order. She was finite matter in infinite space.»

«Good-bye, my moonsong and my breath, my white nights and golden days, my fresh water and my fire. Good-bye, and may you find a better life, find comfort again and your breathless smile, and when your beloved face lights up once more at the Western sunrise, be sure what I felt for you was not in vain. Good-bye, and have faith, my Tatiana.»



… as if pervaded with his deathless leaven… All earthy stuff - emotions, anguish, passion - had been transmuted to the stuff of heaven.


Love,
Francisca

No comments:

Post a Comment